Tap Windows Adapter V9 – Detailed Guide
What is Tap Windows Adapter V9? In this article, we inform about the windows adapter, why VPNs require, installation, update or uninstall the Tap driver.
What is Tap Windows Adapter V9?
TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is a network driver that allows VPN to connect to its servers. The default installation is C:/Program Files/Tap-Windows, and it appears in Device Manager under Network Adapters category.
The Tap Windows Adapter V9 is a virtual network interface that provides the functionality which is needed by various VPN clients to facilitate a VPN connection.
Unfortunately, Some users reported that when Tap Windows Adapter V9 is enabled their internet connection is not working or that the adapter enables itself automatically at the next boot after being disabled from Device Manager.
TYPES OF TAP-WINDOWS ADAPTERS:
- NDIS 6 (TAP-windows6, version 9.21.x) for Windows 10/8/7/Vista.
- NDIS 5 driver (TAP-windows, version 9.9.x) for Windows XP.
You have not need to separately install TAP-Windows, although it installed automatically along with the VPN software because VPN installer includes it.
DISABLE OR RE-ENABLE THE ADAPTER
If your VPN software is facing problems starting or if you see this message, you may restart the Tap Adapter and see if it helps. To fix this problem open control panel go to network and sharing center and then click on Change Adapter Settings to open network connections.
If you are having problems with the TAP adapter then you follow these steps:
- Go to the start and type Control Panel
- In control panel then select Network and Internet > Network Sharing Center
- Choose the option of Change adapter settings
- Right-click on the local area connection and select Disable
- Wait a few moments, right-click it again and select Enable
UNINSTALL, REINSTALL. DISABLE OR UPDATE TAP-WINDOWS
If you face other issues during running your VPN software, in this situation you can simply uninstall the TAP-Windows Adapter and then reinstall or update the Tap-Windows.
For complete this action open control panel and from there, either uninstall or repair and reinstall your VPN software and see. it will install the TAP drivers during repair or installation.
From the windows 10 to uninstall, disable or update TAP-Windows.
- Go to Window 10 Menu
- Open the option of Devices Manager
- Search the option of Network Adapter
- Click Network Adapter and find out the TAP-Windows Adapter V9
- Right-click on Tap-Windows Adapter V9 and select any option update, Disable or uninstall the adapter
ERROR MASSAGE OCCUR NO TAP-WINDOWS ADAPTER
If your VPN software doesn’t find the driver installed on your computer, you receive error message. There are no TAP-Windows adapters on this system. To fix this error download or reinstall the driver again.
REINSTALL THE TAP-WINDOWS ADAPTER V9
If you are unable to connect ta a VPN network then start your troubleshooting for checking what is the problem if the problem is the Tap Adapter installed correctly and reinstall it when you follow these below steps of reinstall the Tap Window adapter.
- Terminating the VPN connections and closing the associated VPN program.
- Open a Run window and type “devmgmt.msc” and then ok to open Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, find network adapter and expend the drop-down menu.
- Locate Tap-windows adapter V9 and you can see an exclamation mark on the icon. Reinstall the driver for fix the issue.
- Right click of SurfEasy TAP-Windows Adapter V9 and select uninstall the device.
- The Windows Adapter V9 driver is removed then open your VPN client again.
- It will either prompt you to install the missing Network Driver depending on the VPN software you use, It will automatically install it.
- Back to Device Manager and see the yellow exclamation icon is no more.
TAP-WINDOWS ADAPTER DRIVER DOWNLOAD
Tap-windows driver file download by visiting “openvpn.net”.
Run as administrator and install it. When the installation is complete restart system and, check its working.